Monday, September 29, 2014

Coffee Time Musings

Another fabulous indian summer day, and I have ridden into town to spend some time at my favorite coffee shop, Cafe Milano. I'm the only one in here right now.

I dropped my old Subaru off at the car mechanic this morning, hoping they can tell me why the check engine light is on and it's having trouble accelerating, stuttering a bit. The check engine light has been on for quite a while but now it's actually flashing at me so maybe it's serious.

I while back I bought one of those electronic picture contraptions that will show an ongoing slide show, thinking my dad might enjoy seeing old pictures. I loaded it up with all of the old Whittington and Hagley pictures I could find. Still I was a bit worried that he would reject it, being one of those new-fangled things that he doesn't understand. But all he has to do is plug it in, and.... he loves it! He comments over and over about some of the old pictures.... mom and him on their first date, on their honeymoon, his dogs Rascal and Skipper, Fuddy Cat, Buckshot ("my" horse that he took care of). It has sparked a few stories I hadn't heard before. I am so glad I got this for him!

I did a 32 mile bike ride on Saturday and then was so tired the next day I spent it watching TV with my dad, which I know he appreciates. Jaws 2, Jaws 3, Hee-Haw. Lawrence Welk. Marty Stuart. The Porter Waggoner show.

It's hard to believe, but a restaurant that has been here nearly all my life has gone out of business. I will always think of it as "Tony's" but it's been through several name changes and in recent years I think it was The Texan. I have so many fond memories of going there with my mom; we'd always find some excuse to go there when we went to town, and we always saw someone we knew. And in more recent years, it was the place my dad and I went for breakfast. A year or so ago I talked to a waitress who said she'd worked there for more than 30 years. Sad to see it go.

Here are a few pictures from the bike ride
Dow Chemical Founders Garden, with Dow in the background

Pretty purple flowers by the downtown boat launch.

No comments: