Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Yet another center of the universe

And yet now I find that it's Duluth that may be the center of the universe, rather than Wallace or Fremont! I am so confused.
As evidence, this is worth a read:
http://www.americanheritage.com/content/untold-delights-duluth?page=3

I am just back from a long walk in downtown Duluth, along the foggy, sunny, foggy, sunny, no, wait, foggy,  frigid shores of Lake Superior. And I do mean frigid: it's still slushy ice as far as the eye can see. It's 40F at 7pm and the locals are out running the lakeshore trail in shorts and tank tops. Myself, I had to put on socks, shoes, and long pants for the first time this trip. And a jacket, even!

Much to my surpise, this is a big city. Technically the population is only about 85000, but the surrounding metroplex tops 130,000 and the "metropolitan statistical area" (A US census term) tops a quarter million. It feels more like a quarter million city to me. And that's down quite a bit from peak population in the 1960's. What are all these people doing up here in the frozen north? I'll refer you to Wikipedia for that.

Locals tell me it's not unusual for there to be some ice left at this time of year. But this is a lot. Hardly any leaves on the trees yet either.
Duluth

Lake Superior, May 20th, 2014. Those are big ships out there, possibly waiting for the ice to clear?

Aerial Lift Bridge, Duluth. This is like a drawbridge, but the center section gets lifted straight up. It's about halfway opened in this picture. so some big ships are getting through.

Vickie enjoying Duluth

No comments: