Monday, February 13, 2012

Picacho Peak, Canoeing, and Death Valley at last

 Here I am in Death Valley, at Stovepipe Wells Village. We were shuttled from Las Vegas to Rhyolite this morning. After lunch we got on our bikes at last, for a fairly easy 32 mile ride to here. Up less than a thousand feet to get over a 4200 foot pass, where it was SNOWING -- not what I expected here!---- and then down down down, back down to sea level and below. 13 miles of coasting downhill at a good 30+ mph, which would have been a bit more comfortable without the sleet, but that was gone by the time we got down a few thousand feet. 

Yesterday... hard to believe it was only yesterday:  6 hours of driving through the Mohave desert from Yuma to Las Vegas, me and hundreds of RV's. Tiring and really not all that scenic, vast ugly RV encampments of snowbirds interspersed with vast areas of nothing. Possibly I am just getting tired of desert. I do admit to a mild craving for some lush, moist, greenery, and ocean. And just as I was entering LV, the batteries ran out on Ipad and my trusty GPS app would not guide me to the hotel. I managed to remember the street name and got there without much ado. Note to self: Need a new car charger for Ipad.

Here are some pictures from my week of hiking and canoeing with the Sierra Club. I think I will let them speak for themselves:

The view from one our campsites

Colorado River colors

 

An old miners cabin

 

Floating down the river

Many winding narrow channels through the reeds along the river.

Euchie enjoying camping at Picacho State Recreation Area

There were whole mountains and canyons of this malachite colored rock around Picacho Peak.

A little rest along the trail...

Slot canyons around Picacho Peak

 

 

No comments: