Sunday, January 29, 2012

California!

Euchie enjoying his ocean view

Euchie enjoying the ocean view

 This morning's latte was in Gold Bar, OR. I didn't make it very far yesterday because I got enchanted by the Cape Perpetua area and thus spent several hours hiking there. In the sunshine. In shirtsleeves: eat your heart out! Down to a basin called Devil's Churn, and the Horn Spout, neither of which were very impressive because it was low tide, but still of course very beautiful. Then a steep hike up to the top of the cape, billed as the best view on the Oregon Coast. I can't argue.

View from Cape Perpetua

Ocean view lodgings again last night, where I slept like a baby. So far I am sleeping much better on this trip than I do at home... perhaps because there's not a cat meowing for me to get up at 4am?

My motto for this (and all other) trips!

Now Euchie and I are in California!  Stopped to hike in the Redwoods outside of Crescent City for a while, then drove on to Eureka, where I'm spending the night. My first time seeing redwoods... it's easy to get jaded. After you see a few of them, they don't look that big anymore. I had to keep reminding myself that most of them are at least 15' in diameter. And 200-300' tall. 

Staying in Eureka tonight. Weather has turned to rain, so I think I will push southward and inland tomorrow...

marvelous sand patterns at Yachats

Note Euchie under the sign!

Trying to get a picture of how big the redwoods are. Very difficult~!

Many of these jello-marbles on the beach at Yachats. Some sort of beach creature Wonder what they are?

 

 

 

No comments: