Friday, February 4, 2011

FOMS


In mid-January, I did the trains, planes and automobiles trip to Michigan: 3 buses, 2 trains, 2 planes, and a 3 hour drive each way. I really sort of enjoy the adventure of that, but it means 4 days out of my life every trip, as it takes me at least a day to recover from the travel day.

I delayed my return trip by a day because of forecasted freezing rain, then ran into it on the drive to Detroit the next day anyway. The defroster in the rental car was only able to keep the bottom half of the windshield clear, and the one time I tried to use the windshield washer the fluid froze, briefly blinding me on the freeway. It was an interesting drive.

Then, a bad case of FOMS! (Fear of Missing Something):

Just a day or two to recover at home, and then up to the Skagit flats for a very nice bike ride with the Rainbow Riders. Followed the next days by cat sitting for a friend, a class in Coupeville (more on that later), forage fish egg sampling with Beachwatchers, a half-day volunteer stint at the reception desk for WSU extension, another day of bike riding, interviews for 2 volunteer positions, and a card party in Seattle which put me on the 1am ferry going home.

I was actually supposed to go to the Coupeville class again the next day, but could not rouse myself for that. In fact, I've had to cancel out on one appointment this week due to FOMS recovery. But now I'm about to start all over again with: volunteering at the thrift store today, noon to 5. Then I will try to make it to Seattle by 7 (with a catsitting visit squeezed inbetween) for dinner and a blues show, possibly putting me on the 1am ferry again tonight. All day tomorrow is Sound Waters (one-day Beachwatchers "university" in all things related to marine ecology), and Sunday is the Coupeville class again.

It's all good!

No comments: