Tuesday, June 18, 2013

More musings to stay awake

Now I will demonstrate the double entendre of "vickie sue rambles", by rambling.

I'm so glad I stayed in Michigan for Father's Day. We invited my stepsister, my cousin, and her husband; and I cooked dinner. I think we dirtied every dish and utensil in the kitchen, twice, but we had a very nice visit and I know my dad really likes having visitors. Shelia brought dad fireworks, which he loves, for a Father's Day gift.

We even used the dining room table, which I haven't sat at in years. This beautiful table is at least 100 years old, with corkscrew legs and high-backed, cane-seat chairs. At holidays when I was a kid, I remember dad's whole family, grandma, grandpa, aunts and uncles, and kids, sitting around it playing poker after dinner, penny ante, nickel limit.

I do love cooking for other people, and it's been a joy to cook for my dad and guests for the past month (especially when Nancy and Gerry were doing the dishes!). I brought copies of a couple dozen of the recipes marked "YUM!", my highest rating, in my cookbooks at home.

In Chicago now, tired and trying not to get grouchy. Although I paid an extra $25 for Early Bird seating on my original flight, and although it's Southwest's fault that I had to get rescheduled on another flight, I now am in seating group C38, virtually guaranteeing that I will have a center seat, squeezed between a small child and an adult who wants to talk the whole way, for the 5 hour flight to Seattle. Perhaps I will use some of my free drink coupons, even though it is 8am. I had it all planned that I could use a couple of them on my (cancelled) flight last night, as Nancy and Gerry were going to cart me home when I got into Seatac. Now that I will most likely be taking the bus, I suppose I have to stay reasonably sober.

By the way, the breakfast burrito at Hari Kari's at Midway airport is yummy, and it's an actual sit-down restaurant. It comes with this great tomatillo salsa, which unfortunately I have dragged (or is it have drug?) my sleeve through. At least I'm wearing green, so it matches.

I'm off to find something like a "reflection room" here.....Maybe if I walk enough I can get my knee to go out again (as it did on my way here) and thus warrant a wheel chair and early seating on the plane.

No comments: